AddThis is a free social bookmarking and sharing tool that allows your website’s visitors to share content to social network sites, social bookmarking sites, blogging platforms, instant messaging services and email services.
AddThis also offers analytics to track the sharing / bookmarking activities of your site’s visitors.
Set Up AddThis Social Bookmarking / Sharing
AddThis bookmarking/sharing tool can be set up on:
- Blogs with WordPress, Blogger, TypePad, MovableType, Tumblr platforms
- B2C websites with Joomla, Drupal content management systems (CMS)
To allow content bookmarking / sharing for your site’s visitors, set up and add the AddThis Button or AddThis Toolbox onto your website.
AddThis allows your site’s visitors to share your content through over 300 services in which most are social network sites, blogging platforms and social bookmarking sites, including:
- Google’s Blogger
- Google’s Gmail
- Google Reader
- Google Bookmarks
- Google Buzz
- Microsoft’s Live/MSN Messenger
- MSN’s Hotmail
- Yahoo Buzz
Website’s content can also be shared to China’s SNS and bookmarking / sharing sites from AddThis:
- Sina Weibo
- Douban – China’s sharing sites on books, movies and music
- Tencent’s QZone
- Baidu Cang – Baidu’s bookmarking site
AddThis Analytics offers 5 major reports for you to find out how your website visitors share content:
- Top Content report: Displays the web pages that have been shared/bookmarked by your site’s visitors.
- Top Services report: Shows the list of services (including Facebook, Twitter, Google Buzz, MySpace, StumbleUpon, Digg) that your site’s visitors used to share / bookmark your content (web pages).
- Audience Profile report: Shows counts of influencers and clickers.
- Top Countries report: Provides geographic trends on where your site’s visitors originated.
- Sharing Referrers report: Displays the top keywords from search engine traffic and top domains that sent traffic to your website.
To review more traffic details from search engines and/or referring sites, set up Google Analytics on your website.
When visitors share your content to Twitter, AddThis will automatically by default shorten links that are longer than 40 characters through URL shortening tools/services bit.ly. For customized URL shortening, provide your Bit.ly and/or awe.sm account information to AddThis.
Google URL shortener explains how URL shortening tools work.
AddThis Toolbar allows your site’s visitors to easily bookmark or share your content and is available for browsers including:
- Internet Explorer