Google launched Adwords Placement Report for you to optimize Adwords content targeting campaigns. In Google Adwords Placement Report, you will be able to view performance metrics for ads that are running on domains or URLs in Google Adwords content network.
- If your goal is to increase conversions such as purchases, page views, sign-ups or leads through your ads, reassess how you’re tracking your conversions. Make sure you’ve implemented conversion tracking so you can understand how individual sites are converting for you. Please note: A low CTR reading on a site does not mean your ads are not performing well. This is because users behave differently on content pages than they do on search sites.
- Use the site exclusion tool to exclude sites that are not converting for your campaign.
- Refine your targeting. If you find that your ads are showing up on sites with a particular theme that you do not find relevant, try using negative keywords.
- Adjust your bids. Enabling our content bidding feature will allow you to bid separately for the content network. Learn more.
- Identify sites that are converting particularly well for your campaign and take steps to increase your exposure on those sites. We recommend enabling our content bidding feature to bid more aggressively on those sites, or targeting them through a site-targeted campaign. Please note that site targeting utilizes cost-per-impression (CPM) bidding.
The data transparency being given by Adwords Placement Report will hurt webmasters with websites that have low quality content and are monetizing through Adsense. This will definitely push more websites with low quality and purpose of search arbitrage into other lower-tier ad publisher networks. There were also several content network updates last year based on quality score and landing page.
Adwords Placement Performance Report can be useful when it is used with Adwords Content Network site exclusion option which can prevent ads from appearing on unlimited number of domains. However, Adwords Placement Performance Report is only available to Adwords advertisers participating in the current beta test.