Baidu SEO starts with allowing Baiduspider to crawl your site’s web pages and Baidu to place your website’s web pages into Baidu’s search engine index. Webmasters can:
- Submit site to Baidu through Baidu’s official URL submission page which allows Baiduspider to start crawling your website from the home page.
- Submit XML sitemaps of your website through Baidu Webmaster Tools.
Baidu Webmaster Tools
Baidu’s Webmaster Tools is in Beta and on official invitation only.
- Baidu allows selected Baidu PPC advertisers who have Baidu Phoenix Nest accounts to sign up with an invitation code and use Baidu’s Webmaster Tools.
- Once your Baidu Webmaster Tools account is approved, add your site’s URL.
Submit Sitemaps through Baidu Webmaster Tools
In Baidu Webmaster Tools, you can submit your website’s XML sitemaps to Baidu.
Your sitemaps have to follow Baidu’s XML sitemap format, which is identical to Google’s and Bing’s XML sitemap formats.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
When submitting XML sitemaps:
- Suggest the update frequencies of your web pages (URLs).
- Select which date during the month or the week, the update should happen.
Your submitted XML sitemaps can have 1 of the 3 statuses:
- Normal: No issue
- Error: You will have to fix the issues and resubmit
- Pending: The URLs in your sitemap files are waiting for Baiduspider’s validation
Create XML sitemap of your website with one of the sitemap generators:
Block your site’s pages and/or directories with Baidu Robots.txt, if certain web pages and/or directories on your website shouldn’t be crawled by Baiduspider and placed in Baidu’s search engine index.