Twitter is a real-time online microblogging tool that allows you to post (tweet) short messages/updates to other Twitter users, in which each message is limited to 140 characters. Twitter is web-based but also works well with mobile phones including iPhones, Androids and more, via applications.
Follower and Following
To start using Twitter, establish connections to other Twitter users by:
- Following other Twitter users
- Being followed by other Twitter users
Tweet and Re-tweet
Twitter differs from most social networking sites as it enables you to connect with only people who you know. You can communicate with your followers through:
- Tweets: When you post your messages.
- Re-tweets: When you re-post messages that other Twitter users (who you are following) previously posted.
Twitter for Business
- Website Traffic Generation
- Marketing and Branding (to market your products/services)
- Customer Communication and Feedback
- Lead Generation and Sales Acquisition
- Market Trend Spotting
- RSS Feeds
Other Tips for Using Twitter
- Newbie’s guide to Twitter – Cnet’s Webware offers a guide to Twitter newbies.
- Twitter for Beginners: 5 Steps for Better Tweeting – Mashable’s post offers the first 5 steps for Twitter beginners.
- 17 Ways You Can Use Twitter: A Guide for Beginners, Marketers and Business Owners – Doshdosh has a quick summary on all the ways you can use Twitter which includes personal branding, getting, feedback, hiring people, direct traffic, reading news, and communicating to customers.
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Marketing Your Business on Twitter – Remarkablogger explains how you can set up Twitter account for maximum effectiveness, the 3 priorities when using Twitter and the tactics that support the priorities, how you can grow your Twitter Followers and the tools that support the growth, and the Twitter terminologies.
- The Ultimate Guide for Everything Twitter part 1 and part 2 – Web Designer Depot offers basics, glossary, news, applications, history, etiquette to Twitter and tips on how you can get more Twitter followers.
- How to Use Twitter as a Twool – Guy Kawasaki explains how to use Twitter as a marketing tool.
- 5 Twitter Management Tools You Can’t Live Without – Top Rank Blog – Top Rank Blog suggests 5 tools to manage your Twitter activities.
- 3 Ways to Find Tweets Around Any Domain – Search Engine Journal suggests 3 tools to keep track of domain names being mentioned on Twitter.
- How to Create an RSS-Enabled, Micro-Blog with Twitter – Carsonified Blog explains how you can set up your Twitter RSS feed as an alternative to your blogging.
- 35 Twitter Tips from 35 Twitter Users – Problogger offers tips from 35 Twitter users.