2010′s China search engine market started with the number one Chinese search engine Baidu being hacked, followed by the announcement of Google’s China exit and Google.cn redirecting web searches to Google.com.hk.
China’s Pay-per-click (PPC) Search Engines
Chinese search engines can be categorized into three tiers:
- 1st tier search engines: Baidu, Google China
- 2nd tier search engines: Yahoo China, Tencent’s Soso, Sohu’s Sogou, Netease/163.com’s Youdao
- 3rd tier search engines: Bing, others
Chinese search engines that offer Chinese pay-per-click (PPC) auction systems:
- 1st tier PPC search engines: Baidu PPC Phoenix Nest, Google Adwords
- 2nd tier PPC search engines: Tencent’s Soso PPC, Sogou PPC, Youdao PPC
- 3rd tier PPC search engines: Yahoo China, smaller PPC search engines that can be ignored
Chinese Search Engine Marketing in 2009 Revised
Baidu PPC auction systems has made major upgrades. The number one Chinese search engine Baidu,
- Launched Baidu PPC Phoenix Nest in April.
- Retired Baidu’s old PPC system and launched Baidu PPC Editor in December.
- Offers Baidu keyword research tool and Baidu Analytics to advertisers who have Baidu’s Phoenix Nest accounts.
Adwords launched a few Chinese localized advertising products in China. Google China,
- Started showing bottom Adwords ads.
- Tested China’s version of Google Adwords PPC site links (i.e. Adwords Brand Zone).