Delicious was founded in 2003 and has been the most popular social bookmarking website/tool/service for users to discover, share and save web addresses (URLs) as web bookmarks.
YouTube Founders Take over Delicious from Yahoo
We are not shutting down Delicious. While we have determined that there is not a strategic fit at Yahoo!, we believe there is a ideal home for Delicious outside of the company where it can be resourced to the level where it can be competitive.
We’re in the process of exploring a variety of options and talking to companies right now.
YouTube founders Chad Hurley and Steve Chen announced the acquisition of Delicious from Yahoo that have turned Delicious becoming part of the new Internet company, AVOS. The YouTube founders have plans to improve Delicious:
We’re excited to work with this fantastic community and take Delicious to the next level. We see a tremendous opportunity to simplify the way users save and share content they discover anywhere on the web.
We see this problem not just in the world of video, but also cutting across every information-intensive media type.
Delicious to Current Users/Members
All Delicious members/users have been asked to opt-in to transferring their Delicious account information from Yahoo to AVOS. After the transfer Delicious members will have uninterrupted use of Delicious social bookmarking.
- Delicious members will see the same look and feel of Delicious interface as they have before the account transfer.
- All bookmarks in the members’ Delicious account will be transferred.
If Delicious members choose not to move their bookmarks:
- Members’ Delicious bookmarks and account information will be available until end of July 2011.
- Members will no longer be able to use their exisiting Delicious accounts.
Delicious members’ account information that will be transferred:
- Delicious username
- Delicious password
- Email address
- First Name
- Last Name
- Bookmarks, Tags and Notes
- Inbox items
- Tag Bundles
- Tag Descriptions
- Network Members
- Blogpost jobs
- Twitter Auth credentials (if supplied)
Websites/Services Yahoo Shut Down
Yahoo has previously shut down websites/services including:
- Bing SEO, Bing Webmaster Tools, Yahoo SEO Update
- Bing Adcenter PPC Optimization Yahoo PPC to Adcenter Tips