Google.com.hk was originally customized for Hong Kong’s Internet users with Traditional Chinese language homepage and interface. Google has set up three different language versions of Google.com.hk for Internet users residing in Mainland China from legally accessing Google’s web search.
Google Hong Kong Chinese Simplified Language
A simplified Chinese language Google.com.hk was added for Mainland Chinese users, in which access to Google.cn within China is by default redirected to this homepage.
Google Hong Kong Chinese Traditional Language
The original default homepage available to Hong Kong’s Google users.
Google Hong Kong English Language
An English English language Google.com.hk is made available to the fast growing number of non-Chinese speaking users residing in China.
Google created much news on China exit, censorship compliance, workaround to run Chinese operations:
- Google.cn shuts down but Google isn’t ready to leave by keeping R&D and sales operations in China.
- Google shuts China web search site in dispute over Chinese censorship.
- Google creates legal workaround to bypass Chinese censorship by redirecting Google.cn to the Hong Kong web search site.
- US government expresses disappointment after Google and China could not make a win-win deal.
- Chinese government accuses Google’s decision for not complying with China’s Internet censorship is wrong.