Google ran search engine optimization audit on its own websites/products and compiled a report – Google’s SEO Report Card. From the SEO Report Card, Google’s search engine optimization audit can be categorized in three major SEO subjects:
- Search Result Presentation: Title tag formats and lengths, description meta tag use, Google sitelink triggering and effectiveness, and main page result clearness on Google
- URLs and Redirects: Directory forms, subdomain forms, 301s, canonicalization
- On-page Optimizations: Heading tag use, H1 tag use, logo image link destination, logo image alt text, and descriptive internal anchor text
The 100 Google’s websites/products that have gone through the rating process in the SEO Report Card, include:
- Advertising and publishing systems: Google Adwords and Google Adsense
- Users’ search trend tools: Google Insights for Search, Google Trends
- Blogging / feed management tools: Blogger and Feedburner
- Personal profile: Profiles
- Site search features: Google Site Search and Google Custom Search Engines
- Product Tools: Google Store and Google Products
- Other tools / services: Picasa Web Albums, Google Finance, Map Maker, Fast Flip, Knol and more
Download (*.pdf) Google’s SEO Report Card.
Webmasters should use Google’s SEO Report Card and Google SEO for beginners as guidelines to run SEO audits on web sites.