Django’s Official Site – Django is a high-level Python web framework that allows rapid development and clean, pragmatic design that was written by web developers who was responsible for meeting intensive deadlines of a newsroom and stringent requirements. Django was written in the Python language and follows the model-view-controller architectural pattern.
The Django web framework offers advantages including:
- Object-relational mapper – Define your data models entirely in Python. You get a rich, dynamic database-access API for free — but you can still write SQL if needed.
- Automatic admin interface – Save yourself the tedious work of creating interfaces for people to add and update content. Django does that automatically, and it’s production-ready.
- Elegant URL design – Design pretty, cruft-free URLs with no framework-specific limitations. Be as flexible as you like.
- Template system – Use Django’s powerful, extensible and designer-friendly template language to separate design, content and Python code.
- Cache system – Hook into memcached or other cache frameworks for super performance — caching is as granular as you need.
- Internationalization – Django has full support for multi-language applications, letting you specify translation strings and providing hooks for language-specific functionality.
Downloads offered by Django:
Source Code Editors
A source code editor is a text editor program designed specifically for editing source code of computer programs by programmers. It may be a standalone application or it may be built into an integrated development environment (IDE).
Source code editors have features specifically designed to simplify and speed up input of source code, such as syntax highlighting, autocomplete and bracket matching functionality. These editors also provide a convenient way to run a compiler, interpreter, debugger, or other program relevant for software development process.
Integrated Development Environment
An IDE is a software application that provides comprehensive facilities to computer programmers for software development which normally consists of a source code editor, build automation tools and a debugger.
IDEs such as Eclipse may include a compiler, an interpreter or both.
IDEs / Code Editors for Django Development
PyDev – PyDev is a Python IDE for Eclipse which may be used in Python, Jython and IronPython development.
Video for Pydev – A video that briefly demonstrates how Pydev works.
Python Editors – A comprehensive list of code editors for multiple platforms, Unix-only, Windows-only, Macintosh-only and mobile devices.
Python IDEs – Includes Eclipse with PyDev, Komodo Edit.
Django Development IDE – More advanced than a text editor for Django development being discussed on the Stackoverflow forum.
Python Roadmap to 7.0 – NetBeans has a roadmap to support Python development.
Best suited IDEs for Django development – Includes Aptana Studio 3, JetBrains PyCharm, being mentioned on this Quora Q and A post.
The Best IDE, Hosting, and Applications for Django – Includes IDEs, hosting services and general applications for Django development.