When you signed up your Google Plus Social Network account, you are suggested with 4 Google + Circles by default:
Circles is the core feature of Google Plus Social Network and are for you to organize your friends / friend list. The 4 suggested Google + Circles may not be enough and you should:
- Split your people relationship into more new circles than those 4 suggested Circles by Google.
- Expand into more Google + Circles to accommodate more new people.
21 New Google + Circles
Happy Place put up 21 Google + circle ideas that you can actually use.
- People I faked my own death to avoid on Facebook
- Family who will never comprehend Google+
- Complete strangers
- Complete strangers I’d sleep with
- Possibily a relative
- Possibly a relative I’d sleep with
- People who know too much
- People still making Casey Anthony jokes
- Won’t stop posting pictures of their babies
- Don’t post enough pictures of their kittens
- Previous coworkers I owe apology to
- Current coworkers who haven’t yet reported me to HR
- Coworkers who think the company would fall apart without them
- Bastards who sided with Alex in the breakup
- People much more pleasant when drunk
- People much less pleasant when drunk
- People probably drunk right now
- Weird friends of my dad who hug too long
- May have coke
- They saw me cry at that party that time
- Dead to me
Google + to SEO, Adwords, Webmasters, Bloggers, Social Marketing
What Google Plus Social Network means to other people involving in the Internet industry:
- SEO/Adwords professionals: Understand the effect of Google +1 on SEO, Adwords
- Webmasters / Bloggers: Add Google +1 Button to Websites
- Social marketers: Track Social for Google +1 in Google Analytics Social Reports
- Self-brand Marketers: Get Google + Profile URL on gplus.to for other Google + users to remember you (or link to you)
Delicious was founded in 2003 and has been the most popular social bookmarking website/tool/service for users to discover, share and save web addresses (URLs) as web bookmarks.
YouTube Founders Take over Delicious from Yahoo
We are not shutting down Delicious. While we have determined that there is not a strategic fit at Yahoo!, we believe there is a ideal home for Delicious outside of the company where it can be resourced to the level where it can be competitive.
We’re in the process of exploring a variety of options and talking to companies right now.
YouTube founders Chad Hurley and Steve Chen announced the acquisition of Delicious from Yahoo that have turned Delicious becoming part of the new Internet company, AVOS. The YouTube founders have plans to improve Delicious:
We’re excited to work with this fantastic community and take Delicious to the next level. We see a tremendous opportunity to simplify the way users save and share content they discover anywhere on the web.
We see this problem not just in the world of video, but also cutting across every information-intensive media type.
Delicious to Current Users/Members
All Delicious members/users have been asked to opt-in to transferring their Delicious account information from Yahoo to AVOS. After the transfer Delicious members will have uninterrupted use of Delicious social bookmarking.
- Delicious members will see the same look and feel of Delicious interface as they have before the account transfer.
- All bookmarks in the members’ Delicious account will be transferred.
If Delicious members choose not to move their bookmarks:
- Members’ Delicious bookmarks and account information will be available until end of July 2011.
- Members will no longer be able to use their exisiting Delicious accounts.
Delicious members’ account information that will be transferred:
- Delicious username
- Delicious password
- Email address
- First Name
- Last Name
- Bookmarks, Tags and Notes
- Inbox items
- Tag Bundles
- Tag Descriptions
- Network Members
- Blogpost jobs
- Twitter Auth credentials (if supplied)
Websites/Services Yahoo Shut Down
Yahoo has previously shut down websites/services including:
- Bing SEO, Bing Webmaster Tools, Yahoo SEO Update
- Bing Adcenter PPC Optimization Yahoo PPC to Adcenter Tips
- Social Engagement report
- Social Action report
- Social Pages report
The Social Engagement report lets you see how site behavior changes for visits that include clicks on +1 buttons or other social actions. This allows you to determine, for example, whether people who +1 your pages during a visit are likely to spend more time on your site than people who don’t.
The Social Actions report lets you analyse the number of social actions (+1 clicks, Tweets, etc) taken on your site, all in one place.
The Social Pages report allows you to compare the pages on your site to see which are driving the highest the number of social actions.
Google Analytics Help explains how Social plug-in tracking works.
Google Analytics Social Reports Setup, Track Social – Facebook Likes, Twitter Tweets, Google +1
If you have added Google + buttons to your website, Google Analytics tracks Google + button activities by default.
To set up Google Analytics Social Reports to reflect/track Facebook and Twitter social activities of your site, add the following line of code to your Google Analytics asynchronous tracking code:
_gaq.push([‘_trackSocial’, socialNetwork, socialAction]);
Google Code officially explains how to set up Facebook Likes, Shares and Twitter Tweets.
New Version Google Analytics
Google has released the new version of Google Analytics to all users. New reporting features that have launched alongside the new version Google Analytics:
- New Google Analytics Overview Reports
- Mobile Reporting Improvements
- Improvements in Map Overlap Reports
- New Analytics Intelligence
- Site Speed Analytics Reports to Measure Page Load Time
- Custom Reports in new Google Analytics
Social reporting is now also available in Google Webmaster Tools.
Yandex Russian search engine made the webmaster tool available in English language. Previously, Yandex’s Webmaster Tool was only available in Russian language.
Navigation structure in Yandex’s Webmaster Tool:
- General information
--- Site structure
--- Pages on search
--- Links to website
--- Excluded pages
----- By type
----- By path
- Indexing options
--- Robots.txt analysis
--- Sitemap files
- Search queries
--- Popular queries
----- By impressions
----- By clicks
----- Click share
----- Average position
----- By query
--- My queries
--- My regions
- Site geography
--- Site region
- Appearance in search results
--- SERP links
--- URL letter case
Without Logging on to Yandex’s Webmaster Tool, you can:
- Add URL
- Check URL
- Run Robots.txt analysis
- Use website spellchecker
- Report spam
- Remove URL
- Run microformats validator
After submitting site to Yandex through the webmaster tool, you can discover:
- The issues occurred during the indexing process
- The web pages that are included in Yandex’s search index
- The sites that links to your website
- What search queries people use to find your site
- How to protect your site from viruses
- How to improve the appearance of your website in Yandex’s search engine results pages (SERP)
Google Reader is an web-based aggregator that was launched in October 2005 by Google. Google Reader allows you to keep all your feeds (in the format of RSS and Atom) that you have subscribed to in one place.
Start your first subscription by adding RSS feed or Atom feed from blogs (e.g.
Import OPML to Google Reader
Alternatively, let other Google Reader users share their feed subscriptions with you as OPML. You can add/import OPML files to your Google Reader account. An OPML file has a *.xml extension. Go to:
- Reader Settings
- Import your subscriptions
When you’re done with adding your feed subscriptions, Google Reader will automatically start checking the subscribed feeds for updates.
Export OPML from Google Reader
Say, you have subscribed to RSS/Atom feeds of all the blogs on SEM Blogs. To share your feed subscriptions with other Google Reader users, export OPML from your Google Reader. In your Google Reader account, go to:
- Reader Settings
- Export your subscriptions
Switch to Google Reader from Another Feed Reader
If you are switching from another feed reader to Google Reader:
- Export your subscriptions from your old feed reader service as an OPML.
- Import the OPML to Google Reader.
Google Reader Help
Visit and review Google Reader Help to find out more advanced use of Google Reader.
Have already played with Google + Social Network for the last couple of days?
My Google + profile page URL looks like below and is difficult to remember:
You can create a customized and shortened profile page URL through gplus.to by entering your nickname/username (that will show up in your profile URL) and profile ID.
- Username: gordonchoi
- Profile ID: 108099088932620717110
The chosen username will show up as part of your gplus.to profile URL:
Your username can be from 3 characters to 25 characters in length with letters only (no numbers or special characters).
My gplus.to profile URL becomes:
We’re working on a project to bring you a new and improved Google experience.
The way people use and experience the web is evolving, and our goal is to give you a more seamless and consistent online experience – one that works no matter which Google product you’re using or what device you’re using it on.
New Google Web Search Interface
Every web search page including the web search homepage now has Google’s navigation bar at the top. Notice Google’s navigation bar is black.
Organic web search results are displayed with the web page URL before the description.
Google Adwords ads are displayed with the ad’s display url before the ad’s descriptions.
Google+ Social Network
Google + Project includes:
- + Circles
- + Sparks
- + Hangouts
- + Mobile
We want to make Google better by including you, your relationships, and your interests. And so begins the Google+ project.
Your Google + profile page shows the stream of your friends’ updates and latest activities. The interface looks very similar to that of Facebook’s, while in 2010 microblogging tool Google Buzz (similar to Twitter) was launched for broadcasting/sharing messages to friends/followers.
Google +1 has been built into Google + social network. You can “+1″ a friend’s items/messages that appear in your stream.
The search box of Google + allows you to search for people. The buttons next to the search box are home, photos, profile, and circles.
The number of China’s Internet users has grown to 420 million, 31.6% of China’s total population, in 2010. Below is a list of the popular Chinese sites with web addresses (URLs), including Chinese search engines, Chinese SNS and Chinese B2C websites.
- Google China:
- Tencent Soso:
- Yahoo China:
- Yahoo China:
- MSN China:
Weibo / Microblogging Sites
- Sina Weibo:
- Tencent Weibo:
- Sohu Weibo:
- 163 Weibo:
- Baidu Microblog:
Social Network Sites (SNS)
Social Review Sites
- Sina Blog:
- 163 Blog:
- Baidu Hi:
Business-to-consumer eCommerce / B2C Sites
- Taobao Tmall:
- Joyo Amazon:
Consumer-to-consumer eCommerce / C2C Sites
Business-to-business eCommerce / B2B Sites
- Alibaba China:
Group Buy Sites
- 24quan :
Bookmarking / Sharing Services
- QQ Bookmark:
- Baidu Cang:
- Baidu Baike:
- Baidu Zhidao:
- Soso Wenwen:
- Google Maps:
- Baidu Map:
- Sogou Map:
Navigational Start Pages
- CN Webmasters:
- 163 News:
- Sina News:
Financial News Sites
- Wall Street Journal:
Web Mail Services
- 163.com Mail:
- 126.com Mail:
- 263.net Mail:
- QQ Mail:
- Yahoo Mail:
- Sina Mail:
- Sohu Mail:
- Sogou Mail:
- TOM Mail:
Network Security / Anti-virus Software
Google can automatically make your top ranked Adwords ads more attractive to searchers – Your Adwords ad’s description line 1 can be moved up to append in your ad’s headline/title.
Top ranked ads appear above the search results, often with the headline followed by one line that joins Description Line 1 and Description Line 2 and then the display URL. In some cases, if Description Line 1 is a sentence (ending in appropriate country-specific punctuation), that line can be added to your ad’s headline, separated by a dash.
How Does Adwords Longer Ad Headline/Title Appear?
When Adwords longer ad title appears, the original headline/title is immediately followed by description line 1 (in the same line), separated by a hyphen symbol.
An example with Booking.com which was ranked above Google’s organic search results:
Before Google applies Adwords longer ad title:
No reservation fee.Pay at check-out Save up to 50% on your reservation.
After Google applies Adwords longer ad title:
Hotels: Booking.com - No reservation fee.Pay at check-out
Save up to 50% on your reservation.
The display URL of your site may also appear within the ad headline/title:
When there’s enough space, we may also add your domain (taken from your ad’s display URL) to the first line of the creative. The domain will be separated from the text by a vertical pipe (“|”). So, if your display URL is www.example.com, your ad might look something like this:
Airfare sale - Low rates from SF | example.com
Test Results on Adwords Longer Ad Headline/Title
RKG Blog tested Google Adwords longer ad headline/title and shared the results:
- The longer ad headline/title format makes the ads look more like organic search results which makes searchers less likely to click on another Adwords ad that contains mostly promotion ad copy.
- Brand/Trademark keywords: CTR has improved from 3% to 25%.
- Non-brand/Non-trademark keywords: CTR has improved 7%.
Eligibility to Adwords Longer Ad Headline/Title
The longer title/headline can only be applied to the top 3 ranked Adwords ads. To ensure your ad appears within the top 3 positions, improve Google Adwords Quality Score.
The SEO guide app will show up, when searching “SEO” related keywords such as:
The table of content / menu of the SEO guide:
One of the pages in the SEO guide:
Baidu Box Computing Examples
Other examples of box computing on Baidu’s SERP include:« Newer Posts — Older Posts »