Google puts up a Gibson Les Paul electric guitar doodle today to celebrate the 96th anniversary of Les Paul, the father to electric guitars.
Play Gibson Les Paul Electric Guitar
Google’s Gibson Les Paul electric guitar doodle is playable on Google’s web search home page
www.google.com. When you hover the guitar strings with your mouse, you will notice the movement and color changes of the guitar strings and the sounds that the guitar makes.
Playing Gibson Les Paul electric guitar:
Still playing the guitar:
Wikipedia provides a brief history of Gibson Les Paul electric guitar:
The Gibson Les Paul is a solid body electric guitar that was first sold in 1952. The Les Paul was designed by Ted McCarty in collaboration with popular guitarist Les Paul, whom Gibson enlisted to endorse the new model. It is one of the most well-known electric guitar types in the world, along with the Fender Stratocaster and Telecaster.
Other Google Doodles
Google did put up other Doodles over the years:
- Google and Ask.com Welcome Fifa World Cup 2006
- Search Engines Update Logos to Celebrate Chinese Festivals
- Google China Counting Down Beijing 2008 Olympic Games
- Google Pacman Icon Game
- FIFA World Cup 2010 Google, Baidu, Bing logos
- Google Doodle Happy Childrens Day
- Websites’ pages are often generated dynamically into HTML from structured data that are directly extracted from databases.
- With Schema.org’s markup standards, Google, Yahoo and Bing can understand the information on web pages through the original structured data and provide rich snippets within organic search results.
Schema.org uses Microdata.
We’ve supported three different standards for structured data markup: microdata, microformats, and RDFa. We’ve decided to focus on just one format for schema.org to create a simpler story for webmasters and to improve consistency across search engines relying on the data. We’ve found that microdata strikes a balance between the extensibility of RDFa and the simplicity of microformats.
Microdata is a set of tags that is compatible to HTML5 that allows you to display rich snippets for markup types including:
- Creative works: CreativeWork, Book, Movie, MusicRecording, Recipe, TVSeries
- Embedded non-text objects: AudioObject, ImageObject, VideoObject
- Place, LocalBusiness, Restaurant
- Product, Offer, AggregateOffer
- Review, AggregateRating
To markup web page’s content using Microdata:
Rich Snippets allow webmasters with websites containing structured data/content (including review sites, etc) to label their content so each piece of text represents a certain type of data. The structured data/content won’t appear to visitors to webmasters’ sites, but will help Google better understand and present information from webmasters’ web pages within Google SEO results.
Google supports 3 types of Rich Snippets formats:
Before officially launching Schema.org, Google first introduced Rich Snippets in 2009:
- Introducing Rich Snippets – May 2009
- An update on Rich Snippets – October 2009
- A new Rich Snippets format: Events – January 2010
- Microdata support for Rich Snippets – March 2010
- Rich Snippets go international – April 2010
- Recipe view, based on Rich Snippets markup – February 2011
Google’s Rich Snippets testing tool:
Intel’s the Museum of Me Facebook Addon allows you to create a slideshow that displays how your social network on Facebook looks like.
Enter the Museum of Me:
The exhibition is a journey of visualization that explores who I am:
More of my keywords:
My friends on Facebook:
Photos of my friends:
Install Intel’s the Museum of Me Facebook addon to create your own Facebook slideshow.
Google +1 Buttons on your web pages allow visitors to your site to recommend your content to other people. Google’s +1 annotations currently show up in SERP in US English language’s www.google.com.
Google +1 button is available in 4 different sizes:
- 15px (small)
- 20px (medium)
- 24px (standard)
- 60px (tall)
Insert this tag at where +1 Button should appear:
Happy Children’s Day! Google puts up a logo (Doodle) on www.google.com and across many other Google country-specific web search sites to celebrate the Children’s Day today.
Wikipedia says about the Children’s Day:
“Children’s Day”, as an event, is celebrated on various days in many places around the world, in particular to honor children. Major global variants include an International Children’s Day on June 1 as adopted in the former Communist bloc, and a Universal Children’s Day on November 20, by United Nations recommendation.
In the People’s Republic of China (Mainland China), Children’s Day is celebrated on June 1 and is formally known as “the June 1 International Children’s Day”.
The World Conference for the Well-being of Children in Geneva, Switzerland proclaimed June 1 to be International Children’s Day in 1925.
Blekko slashtag search engine offers Android mobile app:
What Can You Do on Blekko’s Android Mobile App?
Blekko.com’s Android mobile app allows users to:
- Search Blekko (with or without slashtags) on your Android mobile phone
- Add websites or search results to your slashtags
- Mark websites or search results as spam results
- Review Blekko’s SEO reports in real-time
Blekko’s Android Mobile App Download
Download your Android mobile app from the Android Market.
Signing-in to your Google account is required to initiate the Android app download.
Blekko’s iPhone Mobile App
Apple’s iPhones mobile app is also available for download from the iTunes Store.
SES (Search Engine Strategies), one of the leading search and social marketing conferences, was held in Shanghai on 24 and 25 May 2011.
One of the panel speeches at SES Shanghai:
“Simultaneous translation box” at one of SES’s conference rooms:
SES also offers 3 workshop sessions (one half-day workshop session and two morning workshop sessions) that were conducted by search/social industry experts:
Eddie Choi, SES advisory board and Frontiers Digital managing director:
- Social marketing analytics – Applying key learnings and technologies from the US market to China – Now it’s the time to include social media analytics in your web analytics strategies
Eden Lau, Brandtology co-Founder and Managing Director of North Asia:
- Social and mobile marketing metrics and trends to for successful consumer engagement
Aaron Kahlow, Online Marketing Summit chairman and founder:
- Search and social media – A global perspective on what drives results for APAC / US marketers and how it applies to all markets
Upcoming SES Conferences
Upcoming SES conferences that will be held in other locations of the world in 2011:
- SES Toronto: 13-15 June, 2011
- SES San Francisco: 15-19 August, 2011
- SES Hong Kong: 20-21 September, 2011
- SES Chicago: 14-18 November, 2011
History of Search Engine Strategies (SES)
Search Engine Strategies was founded by Danny Sullivan, founder of Search Engine Watch:
- SES has been a conference series focused mainly on SEO and PPC, but also web analytics and social media marketing in recent years.
- The first SES conference was held in November 1999 in San Francisco, California.
www.Youdao.com), 163.com’s Chinese search engine, was officially launched in December 2007.
Youdao search engine’s search engine results page (SERP) consists of:
- A: Youdao’s search box
- B: Youdao’s organic search results
- C: Other vertical searches, including image search, news search, blog search, answers search
- D: Search by day, by week, by month, or by year
- E: What everybody has been searching
- F: Your search history
- G: Related searches
Youdao’s Spider, Youdao’s Index Update
Youdao’s spider (or user agent) is YoudaoBot. How Youdao.com’s spider and index update work:
- To get included into Youdao’s index, your site will need to have inbound links pointing to it from other websites that are already in Youdao’s index.
- Normally, not every web page of your site will be included in Youdao’s index – Youdao’s index only includes web pages that are above a certain level of quality.
- How often a site gets updated in Youdao’s Index depends on how often a webmaster updates his/her site’s content.
- Youdao’s spider (YoudaoBot) normally do not crawl a web page more than once within 8 hours and understands the
- Optimize SEO META tags to allow better crawling and ranking on Youdao search engine.
Submit site to Youdao
Webmasters can manually submit websites to Youdao, through Youdao’s site submission page.
To block Youdao’s spider (or YoudaoBot) from crawling part of your website, use Robots.txt:
- How Robots.txt works on Youdao.com is similar to how Robots.txt works on Baidu.com. Review Baidu Robots.txt.
- Place Robots.txt at the root directory of your site:
Nofollow for Youdao
Youdao understands nofollow attribute.
- To disallow Youdao’s spider (YoudaoBot) from following links on a web page and passing link juice (similar to Google PageRank) through to other web pages, use:
<META NAME="YoudaoBot" CONTENT="nofollow">
- To disallow Youdao from passing link juice through an individual link (on the “link” level), use:
<a href="http://www.example.com/" rel="nofollow">anchor text</a>
Youdao Vertical Searches
Besides web search, Youdao search engine offers vertical searches including:
- Image search (
- Video search (
- News search (
- Music search (
- Blog search (
- Map search (
- Reader (
- Bookmarks (
- Forums (
- Dictionary (
- Translation (
- Shopping search (
Youdao provides desktop tools including:
- Toolbar (
- Desktop Dictionary (
View the entire list of Youdao vertical searches (and/or products).
Google PageRank Sculpting Revised
How Google PageRank Flows between Web Pages:
- A decay factor of 10-15% loss applies to each time PageRank (link juice) passes from one web page to another.
rel=nofollowattribute is a method to indicate no PageRank (link juice) should be passed through to the web page being linked to from your web page.
The nofollow attribute is just a mechanism that gives webmasters the ability to modify PageRank flow at link-level granularity. Plenty of other mechanisms would also work (e.g. a link through a page that is robot.txt’ed out), but nofollow on individual links is simpler for some folks to use. There’s no stigma to using nofollow, even on your own internal links; for Google, nofollow’ed links are dropped out of our link graph; we don’t even use such links for discovery. By the way, the nofollow meta tag does that same thing, but at a page level.
Let’s revise Google PageRank Sculpting. PageRank Sculpting can be used as:
- “Siloing” – Only pass link juice to web pages on your site with the same theme to improve ranking for keywords and keyword groups, that are both general and targeted keyword phrases.
- Signals to GoogleBot crawl prioritization for your site’s web pages.
Changes to Nofollow Attribute, PageRank Sculpting
Matt Cutts explains how nofollow attribute works after Google made algorithmic change to how Nofollow attribute passes PageRank (link juice) between web pages:
- For example, your web page has 10 PageRank points (from inbound links pointing to the web page). You set up 5 links pointing to other web pages on your site and 5 outbound links to other websites. You blocked PageRank from passing through the 5 outbound links with nofollow attribute.
- Before Google’s algorithm change, you could pass 2 points to each of the 5 web pages of your site, with a total of 10 PageRank points staying on your own site’s web pages.
- After Google’s algorithm change in 2008, you could only pass 1 point to each of the 5 web pages of your site, with a total 5 PageRank points staying on your own site’s web pages. The other 5 points are lost.
- Links to sites that you do not trust
- Links to sites that you do not want to vouch for
- Paid links
As Webmasters, you should not add “nofollow” to all outbound links on your site.
Other SEO Techniques
Webmasters should avoid keyword stuffing and consider using other SEO techniques before applying nofollow attribute to websites.
- Google +1 Button Setup, Google +1 on SEO, Adwords
- Google SEO beginners guide update
- Google, Yahoo and Bing search algorithms
- Google SEO for beginners
- SEO geo-targeting
- Tencent QQ:
Since then Sina Weibo and Tencent QQ Weibo both have quickly grown their user base. Sina decided to rebrand and move to new domain name
t.Sina.com.cn– Sina’s old Weibo domain name which is still available to users after the new domain has been introduced
Weibo.com– Sina Weibo’s new domain name
t.QQ.com– Tencent keeps running Weibo on this subdomain name
t.Sina.com.cn vs Weibo.com vs t.QQ.com
Baidu’s search trends, Baidu Index (
index.baidu.com), shows search traffic of the domain names in this order (from highest to lowest):
Sina Weibo, Tencent QQ Weibo on Baidu Brand Link Ads
Both Sina Weibo and Tencent QQ Weibo are showing up on Baidu brand link ads for keyword searches.
Sina Weibo’s brand link ad on Baidu’s SERP:
Tencent QQ Weibo’s brand link ad on Baidu’s SERP:
Baidu Box Computing’s Weibo Message Box
Scroll down Baidu’s SERP of Tencent Weibo’s keyword search, you will see Baidu offering a box for users to authorize and connect to 3 weibo accounts:
- Tencent QQ Weibo
- Sohu Weibo
- 163 Weibo
The box allows you to send Weibo messages through Baidu’s Box Computing to Tencent QQ Weibo, Sohu Weibo and 163 Weibo.« Newer Posts — Older Posts »