Later in 2010, Google and Microsoft Bing will be competing head-to-head in pay-per-click (PPC) advertising platforms (i.e. Adwords and Adcenter), after Yahoo decided to exit search and became Bing’s largest search traffic partner.
PPC Strategies for the Big 3 Search Engines
To do well with the big 3 search engines:
- Understand Google Adwords Quality Score, standardize your Google Adwords PPC Optimization, and manage with Adwords Editor.
- Manage/optimize your Bing PPC with Microsoft Adcenter Desktop.
- Before seeing your Yahoo traffic all migrate to Bing, overcome your Yahoo Search Marketing problems and avoid Yahoo PPC automatic account optimization.
Keyword Research and Keyword Management
Create keyword lists for search targeted campaigns and content targeted campaigns:
- Use SEM keyword research tools to build your search campaign keyword lists, and estimate your keyword cost with Google Adwords Bid Simulator.
- Ensure the keyword list consists of all your trademark keywords and make use of Adwords PPC site links.
- Start with broad match keywords, review the search query report, and make good use of negative keywords to save cost.
- Create Adwords content targeting ad groups / keywords with Google Wonder Wheel Tool, and discover Google content network websites in your industry/category with Google Ad Planner.
To monetize through search engine marketing, the ability for big brands to track return-on-investment (ROI) will become far more important than before. Google offers free PPC conversion tracking tools for search engine marketers who will not be spending budgets on “paid” conversion tracking software.
- Setup Adwords Conversion Tracking to track your website’s goals (i.e. leads and/or sales), and review Adwords reports regularly.
- Run Adwords Geographic report to review your campaigns’ performance in different cities/regions/countries.
- Use Google Analytics to track your PPC conversions from Yahoo Search Marketing, Bing Adcenter, Baidu PPC Phoenix Nest, and the 2nd tier PPC search engines.
Optimize Keyword Bidding
Keyword / ad group bidding is/are another areas that can no longer be done manually in an efficient way. Google offers Adwords Conversion Optimizer, a free keyword bidding tool. Follow Adwords Conversion Optimizer tips before using this bidding tool.
Use one of the auto-bid / portfolio bid management software from Efficient Frontier, Marin Software, Search Force or Kenshoo Search, if you prefer “paid” software and services. Paid bidding software allows you to manage/optimize all your different search engine accounts (Adwords, Yahoo Search Marketing and Adcenter) in one system.
Optimize Landing Pages
- Improve your site users’ experience
- Increase your websites’ conversion rates