When building inbound links from external websites to improve the link popularity of their own sites, webmasters will want to go through the check list below which concerns several factors on the external sites or pages. The check points are also applicable to webmasters who are to exchange links.
1. How many outgoing links are on the linking page?
2. What is the PageRank value on the link page?
3. Are the pages indexed in the search engines?
4. What will be the anchor text of the link?
5. Are there nofollow tags within the HTML or in the Robots.txt file?
6. Is the site industry relevant to yours?
7. Is the linking page industry relevant to yours?
8. How deep down the directory structure will the link be within the site?
9. Is the link page dynamically generated?
10. Is the linking page embedded on a framed site?
11. Is the link being redirected to another page before reaching your site?