For a B2C website, search engine marketing (PPC/SEO) is about acquiring targeted search engine traffic (potential website users) to the site and making sure a portion of this search engine traffic converts into sales. Search engine marketing involves:
- SEM keyword research – Create keyword lists through for your website Google’s keyword tools.
- Optimize SEO META tags, page title, description, keywords, robots – For organic search engine optimization, ensure your site to have the right SEO basics, understand Google’s and Bing’s search algorithms, and monitor through Google Webmaster Tools.
- PPC optimization tips – For paid search marketing, understand how you should optimize PPC campaigns for Google Adwords, Bing Adcenter and Baidu Phoenix Nest (for Chinese market). Use sophisticated SEM systems (e.g. Kenshoo Search, Efficient Frontier and/or Marin Software) to automate PPC campaign management and bidding.
- Web analytics – You may be using Google Analytics to monitor and analyze search engine traffic, and to track social media (Google+, Twitter Tweets, Facebook Likes) performance.
Search Engine Optimization Role
SEOMoz has this Venn diagram: The SEO role stands at the center of technologist, statistician and marketer, and needs to possess partial skills of an analytics consultant, a PPC specialist and a social media marketer.
The gurus in the roles of SEO, PPC, and web analytics:
- SEO roles: Stephen Noton is a SEO guru and Wheeler Derrick an experienced SEO architect both are extremely experienced in search engine optimization for large websites.
- PPC role: Brad Geddes is one of the leading PPC experts with his book Advanced Google Adwords.
- Web analytics role: Avinash Kaushik tells you what a web analyst should do.
Product Management Role
While SEO and PPC have taken care of search engine traffic acquisition, creating/managing a B2C site falls onto the operations of product management / product development. Creating a website involves improving the site’s:
- Conversion rate
- User friendliness and user engagement
Mind the Product provides the definition and the Venn diagram of a product manager.
In the modern days, a product manager lies in the middle of user experience design (UX), technology and business. This SlideShare document shows you 7 things that a product manager must know. Product managers must understand technology and user experience design:
- Smashing Magazine explains what user experience design is and offers tools/resources to UX.
- Go through some of the books in the list of the best software engineering books ever.
2011′s SEO and Web Analytics Reviews by Search Engine Watch
Search Engine Watch offers this Biggest Search Events of 2011:
- Google’s Panda update
- SSL search
- Social signals and integration
- Yahoo Site Explorer shuts down
- Google’s freshness algorithm update
- Microsoft-Yahoo Search Alliance
Search Engine Watch has this Web Analytics Year in Review 2011:
- Online and offline data integration
- Social media analytics
- Omniture Site Catalyst launches
- Super “cookies”
- Mobile analytics
- Google Analytics Real-time
- Google encrypts search data
- Google chrome passes Mozillia Firefox
Web/Social Analytics Metrics for 2012 by Avinash Kaushik
Avinash Kaushik explains the best KPI metrics for small, medium and large websites. Different sets of web analytics metrics should be measured by small, medium, and large-sized websites.
Web Metrics for Small-sized Business Websites:
- Acquisition: Cost per acquisition
- Behavior: Bounce rate, checkout abandonment rate
- Outcomes: Macro conversion rate
Web Metrics for Medium-sized Business Websites:
- Acquisition: Cost per acquisition, click-through rate
- Behavior: Bounce rate, checkout abandonment rate, page depth, loyalty (count of visits)
- Outcomes: Macro conversion rate, micro conversion rate, per visit goal value
Web Metrics for Large-sized Business Websites:
- Acquisition: Cost per acquisition, click-through rate, % new visits
- Behavior: Bounce rate, checkout abandonment rate, page depth, loyalty (count of visits), events/visit
- Outcomes: Macro conversion rate, micro conversion rate, per visit goal value, days to conversion (or time lags for content sites), assisted conversions
Avinash Kaushik defines the best social media metrics with conversation, amplification, applause, and economic value. Know what social metrics to measure and how to measure the social metrics.
- Conversation Rate = Number of Audience Comments (or Replies) Per Post
- Twitter: Amplification = Number of Retweets Per Tweet
- Facebook: Amplification = Number of Shares Per Post
- Blogs/YouTube: Number of Share Clicks Per Post (or Video)
- Twitter: Applause Rate = Number of Favorite Clicks Per Post
- Facebook: Applause Rate = Number of Likes Per Post
- Google+: Applause Rate = Number of +1s Per Post
- Blogs/YouTube: Applause Rate = Number of +1s and Likes Per Post (or video)
- Economic Value = Sum of Short and Long Term Revenue and Cost Savings
Japan, Korea and China Reviews by Clickz Asia
- Social signals in SEO have resulted in Facebook pages to rank in Google Japan for competitive terms and Korea’s Naver blog platform (Cafe) having pages appeared in the main search listing on Naver’s top pages.
- The rise in adoption of smartphones in Japan and Korea will lead to an increased focus on mobile SEO as Japan has 14 million smartphone population (or 11%) and Korea has over 20 million smartphone population (or 40%). The mobile app market is the second most popular activity on mobile after search.
- SEO will be the increased focus on optimizing for local search. In Japan, search queries on Google Places in 2011 has more than doubled as people have increased their on-the-go search. With Korea’s Naver, the search query volume of Naver Map, the premier map and local search platform has also doubled in 2011, coinciding with the surge in mobile usage in Korea.
A Starter’s Guide to Search in Korea briefly explains the landscape of search engines in Korea:
- Naver vs Daum – Korea’s 2 largest search engines are dominating search market share.
- SEM in Korea – SEM models in Korea include cost-per-click (CPC) and cost-per-time (CPT).
Chinese search engine Baidu is definitely on the way to:
- Build a Chinese Internet empire.
- Shift China’s online travel search by acquiring travel search engine Qunar.com.
2012′s SEM Predictions by Business2Community
Business2Community offers 2012′s Search Engine Marketing Predictions:
- PPC advertising will become more interactive and engaging as non-search options increase viability, and will become bigger in Youtube and social media.
- Websites will shift marketing budgets to directly converting leads into sales (from only generating leads) when more websites are using conversion tools and SEM automation systems to automate their conversion optimization process.
- Social’s integration into search engines continues to increase as social signals and sharing will have an even greater impact on search engine rankings. Companies will focus increasingly on Social Media Analytics, as the importance of measuring the ROI on social media campaigns continues to increase.
2011′s SEM and Analytics Events by Gordon Choi’s Blog
Gordon Choi’s Blog mentioned year 2011′s events related to search engines, web analytics and social networks.
Search Engine Optimization:
- Top 10 Google Search Algorithm Changes in 500 Updates
- Google vs Bing Search Algorithms
- Content Farm Spams, Google Search Algorithm Update
- Baidu, Bing, Chinese Travel Search Engine Qunar.com on Baidu Search Results
- Yahoo Site Explorer Shuts Down, Replaced by Bing Webmaster Tools
Search Engine Marketing and Tools:
Web Analytics, SEO Analytics, Social Analytics:
- New Google Analytics, Dashboard, Real-time, Social Media, Site Speed, Custom Reports
- Google Analytics Social Reports, Track Social for Google +1, Facebook Likes, Twitter Tweets
- Blekko SEO Reports
Google+ / Social Networks:
- Google Plus Social Network, New Google Web Search Interface
- Quora Site, Questions, Answers on www.Quora.com
- Sina Weibo Chinese Microblog, t.Sina.com.cn, Weibo.com
Search Engine Conferences: