Tencent’s Chinese search engine Soso.com launched a pay-per-click (PPC) ad auction system, Tencent Search Marketing.
Soso PPC’s Account Structure
Tencent Search Marketing has simple account structure and do not have campaign or ad group levels. Keywords and ads are the two major layers in Soso PPC’s account structure.
A keyword consists of:
- Keyword match type (broad, phrase or exact)
- Keyword cost-per-click (CPC)
An ad consists of:
- Ad title
- Ad description
- Display URL
- Destination URL
How Soso.com Displays Pay-per-click Ads
Soso.com currently shows Tencent Search Marketing PPC ads above and on the right hand side of organic search results.
At the bottom of Soso.com’s search results pages, Google Adwords ads are shown.
Create a Tencent Soso PPC Account
Soso.com does not allow new advertisers to directly create Tencent Search Marketing account. However, you can go through one of the ad agencies which have been approved by Tencent.
Soso PPC Reports
Soso PPC offer two basic reports:
- Ad report
- Keyword report
Other Issues and Features about Soso PPC
- Soso PPC’s auction system takes click through rate (CTR) and keyword maximum cost-per-click (CPC) into account to determine ad ranking, but the effectiveness of this new ad ranking algorithm is yet to be verified.
- Soso PPC’s account interface and many features are not as thorough and complicated as Google Adwords search ad auction system or Baidu’s PPC auction system (Phoenix Nest). So optimization may tend to be mainly based on bidding.
- The default minimum bid for keywords is RMB 0.30, but many high search volume keywords’ minimum bids are over that rate.
- Only basic reports are offered for you to monitor the performance of your keywords and ads.
- No ability to set and control your account’s / ads’ daily budget.
- Ad rotation or A/B ad testing are not possible.
- Exporting and/or importing of your account (ads, keywords, CPC, match types, ad titles, ad descriptions, destination URLs) are possible through spreadsheets.
- No payment feature is available to advertisers to pay directly through Soso PPC’s system.
- Tencent’s Soso search engine has much lower Chinese search volume than Baidu and Google.