Yandex’s brief introduction on Wikipedia:
Yandex is a Russian IT company which operates the largest search engine in Russia (with 64% market share, ranked eighth-largest in the world) and develops a number of Internet-based services and products. The Yandex.ru home page has been rated as the most popular web site in Russia.
10 Facts about Yandex
- The Yandex.ru site was launched in 1997 and has been the Russian language Yandex search engine’s domain.
- The first Russian context banner ad was placed on Yandex.ru in 2008.
- Yandex financially breaks even in 2003.
- Yandex.Direct is the first and largest keyword-based pay-per-click (ppc) search auction system in Russia that allows the placement of text-based advertising with real-time bidding.
- Yandex’s growth in search market share has been very fast and grew 91% to 1.9 billion searches between 2008 and 2009.
- Yandex launched music search in 2009.
- Yandex launched the English language search engine www.yandex.com in 2010 to compete for global search traffic against Google, Yahoo and Bing.
- Yandex has Yandex.ua in Ukraine, Yandex.by in Belarus, and Yandex.kz in Kazakhstan.
- Besides Russian language web search, Yandex offers local, national and international news on Yandex.News, comparison shopping resource on Yandex.Market, real time traffic monitoring system on Yandex.Traffic, free photo hosting on Yandex.Fotki, free video hosting on Yandex.Video, blog search engine on Yandex.Blogs, social networking site for professionals on MoiKrug.ru, online payment system on Yandex.Money, spam protection system on Spamooborona, and free Web hosting on Narod.
- Yandex had 64.6% Russian search market share, Google had 21.8%, Search.Mail.ru had 7.4%, and Rambler had 2.1% in October 2010.
Russian Search Tips offers Yandex search engine optimization tips through:
Other SEO tips for Yandex include:
- Yandex Webmaster Interface – Scotia Systems runs through Yandex’s Webmaster Tool from text file verification or META tag verification, to site submission, to statisitics of your websites.
- Yandex, the SEO Perspective – This Search Engine Watch article insists webmasters who work on Yandex SEO should focus on geo-targeted optimization, carefully using display advertisement on your web pages, Yandex’s thematic citation index, linguistic search, and Yandex’s similarities to Google.
- Yandex Global Search – the Good, the Bad, and the Yugly – SEO.com Blog says Yandex.com has relatively low spammed search results, but consists of few country specific search results.
- Yandex search commands for non-Russian speakers part 1 and part 2 – SEO Warrior’s advanced search commands for Yandex.
- Submit site to Yandex – Gordon Choi’s blog provides quick run-through on site submission, XML sitemap submission and site verification through Yandex Webmaster Tool.