Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat
What Is Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat?
Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat enables temperature measurements through its room sensors to deliver the most comfortable temperatures to the rooms that matter most by working with your home Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system.
With the room sensors, Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat knows exactly which room you are in. Room temperature is then automatically adjusted to your preferred temperature.
When you’re away from home, you can let Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat help you save energy and money.
You can set up the Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat to pre-heat or pre-cool your home or any room before you arrive home.
- Room Sensors
- Modes: Follow Me, Home, and Away
- Voice Controls
- Install Ecobee3 with C Wire
- Install Ecobee3 with Power Extender Kit (PEK) without C Wire
- Ecobee3 Smart Thermostat (vs. Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat)
- Humidifier, Dehumidifier, and Ventilation Controls
What Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat is about?
- The installation is relatively simple.
- Each unit (of the Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat) can be controlled by the mobile app in your phone.
- It has a 3.5-inch touchscreen.
- The thermostat comes with a Power Extender Kit for homes without the blue C wire.
- The Ecobee3 Lite can integrate with smart home voice controls (such as Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Google Home, Samsung SmartThings, etc).
What items Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat does not provide?
- It does not support humidifiers, dehumidifiers, or ventilators.
- Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat does not come with room sensors (in its package).
Many other home thermostats can only read the temperature in one place but leave other rooms with uncomfortable temperature.
Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat can use multiple room Sensors to overcome this problem.
The Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat works like this:
- The active room sensors that you have placed throughout the different rooms in your home send temperature readings to the Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat.
- The room sensors are capable to ensure the room you are in will be at the temperature you have set.
- An example is when you are in a room (e.g. the living room) in which the temperature is set to 74 degree, the HVAC will run until the temperature in the living room becomes 74 degrees.
- Other rooms in your home may have a different temperature reading (i.e. colder or warmer) to the living room.
- When you physically move to a different room, the sensor that is physically closest to your new location will take over to read the temperature.
The room sensors are wireless (or remote) which should be placed in the rooms where people most frequently are in.
The room sensors detect motion, and are able to recognize whether it is a pet or a human who is in the room.
With the Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat, it prevents heating or cooling of your rooms (or your entire home) when no one is in them. This automatic temperature sensing per room enables energy saving, thus money saving in long term.
Modes: Follow Me, Home, and Away
The follow me, home, and away modes are made possible through the use of sensors on the Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat and the room sensors.
The different modes are all energy savers.
Follow me mode
In the follow me mode, the room sensors detect your exact location in your house during a specific time (when you may be on the move).
When you have moved away from a location, your HVAC updates the temperature of the particular room.
Home and away modes
With the home and away modes, the HVAC turns off when you are physically out of home.
When you returns home, the room sensors and/or the sensor on the thermostat are triggered. The heating or cooling will automatically be turned on based on your temperature setting.
You can enable voice controls on the Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat. Voice control is a convenient alternative to the mobile app.
The voice controls of Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat can work on almost all smart home connected devices including:
- Amazon Alexa
- Apple HomeKit
- Google Home
- Samsung SmartThings
Install Ecobee3 with C Wire
The C wire is a common wire that enables the continuous flow of 24V AC power to the Ecobee Lite Smart Thermostat.
Install Ecobee3 with Power Extender Kit (PEK) without C Wire
The power extender kit is provided which is to replace the C wire.
Ecobee3 Smart Thermostat (vs. Ecobee3 Lite Smart Thermostat)
The Ecobee3 Smart Thermostat comes with up to 3 room sensors, depending on the package you have purchased.
The Lite version does not include any room sensors, but you can buy the room sensors separately.
Humidifier, Dehumidifier, and Ventilation Controls
The Ecobee Lite does not come with any humidifier, dehumidifier, or ventilation controls.
Articles on DIY Home Automation Topics
- Netsanity Parental Control
- Arlo Video Doorbell
- QNAP TS-251A (NAS Cloud Storage)
- Exterior Steel Doors
- Prehung Interior Doors
- French Patio Doors
- Baldwin Door Hardware